Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Andrew McConnell's tuna tartare

I love Andrew McConnell's Melbourne restaurants Cumulus Inc. and Cutler & Co (still haven't been to Golden Fields) so when I saw his recipe for Tuna Tartare published on the SMH site I had to give it a go. For some reason the page where I first found the recipe is broken, but luckily I'd copied it into my recipe folder so I've detailed it below.

I know my version doesn't look quite as suave as the professional one - but let me tell you it tasted DAMN delicious! I used fresh mint and spring onion pulled straight from the garden too!




Andrew McConnell's tuna tartare with crushed pea salad

250g sashimi grade tuna
1/2 clove garlic
1 anchovy (I didn't use this as I'd run out)
1T light soy sauce
Pinch castor sugar
2T olive oil
1t balsamic vinegar
zest of 1/4 lemon
130g peas
3T olive oil
1T lemon juice
1 spring onion - finely chopped
20 mint leaves - shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
3T goats curd

Step 1 - marinade
Slice tuna into 1.5cm cubes.
Mix garlic, anchovy, soy, castor sugar, olive oil, balsamic and zest together then add the tuna.
Leave in fridge to marinade while making the salad.

Step 2 - crushed pea salad
Cook peas 2 mins.
Refresh in iced water.
Crush with the back of a spoon
Mix with olive oil, lemon juice, spring onion, mint and salt and pepper.

Step 3 - serve
Use the back of a spoon to spread goats curd onto a plate.
Spoon pea salad on top.
Season tuna with a little salt, remove from marinade with a slotted spoon and arrange on top.

Eat and enjoy!

NB: The first time I made this I used goats curd, but M isn't a huge fan so last time I used really soft mild fetta and it worked too.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3442851/eat-drink-dream?claim=g88qjamruky">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment