Friday, 24 February 2012

A Mexican fiesta!


Melbourne seems to be going crazy for Mexican lately! I tried Mamasita when it first opened, and Fonda Mexican is down the road from my work so I’ve been there a couple of times too. There’s still so many other places I want to try I can’t keep up. However I still love making Mexican at home. It might not be quite as authentic – in fact probably more ‘Old El Paso’ than anything , but I love it anyway!

Mexican take 1

The other week I tried a new recipe I found via All Things Delicious for Mexican soup. The idea of Mexican soup intrigued me – essentially you take all the ingredients of a good burrito but make it a soup instead. It even includes tortillas!

While we enjoyed the soup (it kind of tasted like Mexican minestrone) I’m not sure we’ll repeat this recipe. M summarized it well when he declared ‘it was good – but it would have been better wrapped in a tortilla!’



Mexican take 2

We visited our friends at their beach house in Rye recently and they cooked up a scrumptious Mexican feast for us! We’ve had Nat and James’ burritos before and I swear I could eat them every day! What makes them so good is that there is so much delicious filling in them. A hot and spicy mix of chicken cooked up with capsicum, refried beans, onion and lots of chilli, Mexican rice, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, sour cream and cheese – yum!

Paired with some good wine, fun company and fantastic dessert (more to come on that later) there’s nothing better than a Mexican night with friends!






Nat and James’ chicken burrito filling

  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ¼ tspn garlic powder
  • 1 tbs conflour
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 chicken breast cut into pieces
  • 1 green capsicum, cut into thin strips
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tbs fresh lime juice
  1. Put all ingredients into a plastic zip lock bag and toss to mix.
  2. Allow to marinate in fridge for around 30 mins.
  3. Heat 1 tbspn oil in pan and cook mixture on high heat, stirring occasionally until chicken, capsicum and onion are tender and cooked through.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. 
Serve with a choice of other burrito fillings and build your own burrito!

Kate eat-drink-dream

No comments:

Post a Comment