Wednesday, 28 March 2012

M’s Wine Review – Mildara Cabernet Sauvignon 2007

I’ve had this particular wine stored away in the bottom of the wine rack for a while now - I simply forgot about it, I bought it on a whim, when I was going through my initial wine buying frenzy a few years ago. I remember clearly stopping off at Dan Murphy’s after having read one of their seasonal red wine catalogues. I circled about five or six different wines I wanted to buy – but this wasn’t one of them. It was only when I was filling up my second box I noticed this cab sav! What got me was a good review and the fact that I needed to get three more bottles to complete the third half dozen. I normally wouldn’t pick a cab sav to drink – especially on a Friday night after a long week at work. I find them to be relatively big wines, strong in flavour, distinct and you really need something of similar nature on your plate to accompany such a wine.

I wanted to open this, to see what it is like, and it’s always nice to be surprised! What a wine, absolutely delightful, just a pleasant surprise. I’m not sure whether it’s the fact that is aged a little (5 years+) or whether it has come from a good wine maker or winery but it is an absolute stunner! It’s smooth, very smooth, and flavoursome; plenty of blackcurrant, mint, chocolate and a little bit of oak.

To be honest don’t worry about the detail – just have a glass, you’ll have trouble stopping at one. It is one of the best best cab savs I’ve ever had. Maybe I haven’t had any really nice ones, but this tops the list so far. This is a highly recommended choice – if you can still find this vintage.

Price range $22-$30

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kate! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/71/7668/Melbourne/eat-drink-dream.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, looking forward to reviewing more great restaurants on Urbanspoon.

      Delete