Tuesday, 6 March 2012

M's Wine Review - Penfolds Bin 138 GSM 2009

GSM - almost sounds like a car brand or a food additive. It isn't. It stands for Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre. I don't think I've ever had this particular blend before, and the first time I tried this drop it won me over! At the time of tasting in early 2011 I liked it over the Penfolds Bin 28, Bin 128, Bin 407 and almost the Bin 389. This wine is different mainly because of the large proportion of grenache.

It is distinct in flavour, it's full of fruit, spice, some tannins and it lingers in your mouth with a sweet after taste! It's a very nice wine!

The grenache gives the wine a light warm fruity taste, the shiraz adds a bit more body and depth including that classic hint of pepper and blackberry. The mourvedre is unique in the sense that it adds acidity and a certain degree of elegance.

This wine is well defined, unique and distinct. Some of the reviews out there say that the Penfolds Bin 138 2009 vintage release is the best to date of this variety. I certainly recommend it for something different and exciting!

Price range $19-$29

eat-drink-dream

No comments:

Post a Comment