Sunday, 11 March 2012

My version of thai fish cakes

I’ve mentioned before that we’re still eating our way through the record snapper haul M and his mate caught fishing over summer. When we’d filleted the fish I cooked the bones up for stock and also saved the left-over meat from this which I froze along with everything else in cooked, flaked form.
So the other night I thought I’d try making some thai fish cakes. I’ve been meaning to try a recipe like this for a while. So as usual I googled a few different recipes and then put together my own. We had them with salad and fresh beans from the garden – yum!
See below for roughly what I did!



Kate’s thai fishcake recipe
  • 2 spring onions finely chopped (I use quite a lot of the green part too)
  • 1 hot birdseye chilli finely chopped (we like it hot but use as much or little as you like)
  • Good dash of fish sauce (approx 1-2 tblspns)
  • Good dash of lemon juice (approx 2 tblspns)
  • Shake of cumin and coriander powder
  • 1-2 eggs (I usually start with 1 and then if I need more to bind it I’ll add the other)
  • Portion of cooked white fish flaked and checked for bones (I used it pre-cooked as that’s just the way I had it, however I’d try this next time with raw fish too)
  • Bread crumbs
  • Flour
This was made with what I had available in the fridge/garden, however you could also add coriander, lime/lemon zest, chopped veggies etc…
  1. Put everything (except bread crumbs, flour and 1 egg) in a bowl and mix together with a spoon.
  2. Alternate adding flour and breadcrumbs (and extra egg if needed) until consistency is sticky and holds shape.
  3. Roll into balls and press into small patty shapes.
  4. Pop in fridge for 20-30mins to set.
  5. Fry in a bit of olive or canola oil until golden brown (if using raw fish until fish is cooked through)
  6. Serve with salad, sweet chilli sauce and/or spicy mayo!
Spicy mayo
I whipped this up to go with the fish cakes but we also had sweet chilli sauce with them too.
  • Good dollop of full egg mayo (we ONLY use best foods)
  • Chilli according to taste
  • Shake of cumin and coriander powder
  • Dash of lemon juice
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Mix all ingredients together, taste and adjust flavours until you’re happy!
Kate eat-drink-dream

2 comments:

  1. Looks nice. You might be interested in this post I did on Thai fish sauce. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/fish-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole - thanks!

      Interestingly I do keep my fish sauce in the fridge - it's good to know it's recommended by those in the know!

      Great blog too BTW!

      Delete