Saturday, 14 April 2012

Amazing Chin Chin brunch


I just found this post in my files and realised I hadn't put it up yet. I was very very lucky at the end of last year to be a winner of the 'table for six' competition run by Broadsheet Melbourne. My prize was a table for me and 5 friends at Chin Chin which was already one of my FAVE new melbourne restaurants.

In January M, 4 friends and I went along for some lunch - or rather an absolute feast! The team at Chin Chin took such great care of us and served up a 7 course banquet - overall there were more than 11 amazing dishes!

One of the best things about the day was being able to treat our good friends to lunch out, and some of them hadn't tried Chin Chin before and we all loved it!

There was so much food I actually missed snapping a couple of dishes as we devoured them straight away - but here are the ones I did take.


Kingfish sashimi with lime, chilli, coconut and thai basil. Probably my all-time favourite dish at the moment!
 
Chin Chin pork 'roll ups' with braised suckling pig, peanuts, slaw and sour herbs. So fun to roll and they were delicious and fresh!



Crispy barramundi and green apple salad with caramelised pork, chili and lemongrass. This is something I wouldn't normally order but was in contention for everyone's favourite dish! The barramundi was so crispy and the pork so so caramelised - amazing!


Massaman curry of coconut, braised Hopkins River beef brisket with pink fur apple potatoes and crispy shallots. I'm not usually a beef eater but tried a litte, the meat fell apart in your mouth and the flavours were warm and hearty.


 
Cooling plate served on the side to take the edge of the curry. A nice fresh touch.


Pretty sure this was a wagyu beef salad, but I couldn't find the exact name listed on the menu. Whatever it was, M said it was one of his faves.


Salt and pepper crusted soft shell crab with green papaya salad and nahm jin. I've had this one on previous visits and it's highly recommended. The crab has a beautiful consistency and flavour.



Steamed free range chicken with green beans and peanut, chilli and Gapi Felish. This was very spicy and probably the only thing I might not order again. Not because it was bad, it just wasn't as amazing as the others.

These bannana rotis were lovely, really creamy inside and sweet outside.


Palm sugar icecream sundae with salted honecomb and lim sugar. This was my favourite dessert! But by this stage we were so full I only managed a spoonful!
Kate eat-drink-dream

 Chin Chin on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. WOW. What a brunch. This is I guess the advantage of living in Australia. I wish Brunch could be as adventurous over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed something special! We were very lucky!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kate, this review has resulted in me calling up my girlies and making a date at Sea Bay, very yum Asian food & very reasonable too (Sydney, you have to try it if you visit!)…there goes the diet! I'm visiting Melbourne this weekend for InDesign tho so definitely will pay a visit. I was wondering if I could maybe get some help? I’m working on a dating app atm, and a part of the app will have bloggers recommending 5-10 places in their city to check out for a first date, I was wondering if you might recommend maybe a few places you love? I will put links up to your blog on the app and so far we have 2,000 signed up to download the app (I'm pretty surprised but so excited!) you can pop on here – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG93enNmdHRPOTVuUWVqOFJMUElibnc6MQ or email me on lauren@heylets.com xxx

    ReplyDelete