I’m usually the cook around here, but M is also pretty damn good at whipping up a feast when he puts his mind to it! Flicking through the stack of magazines on the coffee table M came across the feature on paella from February's Donna Hay magazine. He decided to try one of the recipes out – I suspect because it contained two of his fave ingredients – chorizo and prawns!
The result was really delicious – I don’t know it you’d call it a super-authentic version of a paella – but it was certainly tasty!
Donna Hay’s prawn, asparagus and chorizo paella – M’s version
- 1-2 tblspns olive oil
- 2 chorizo sliced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 jar bottled tomato pasta sauce
- 500g raw peeled prawns
- 1 bunch asparagus
- Heat the oil in non stick frying pan over high heat.
- Add chorizo and cook 2-3 mins until browned.
- Add rice and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the vinegar and cook 1 min or until absorbed.
- Stir through the stock and tomato sauce and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 15 mins without stirring.
- Increase heat to medium, push prawns into rice and cook further 4 mins.
- Remove from heat, add asparagus and cover with aluminium foil (or lid) and set aside to rest for 15-18 mins until liquid is absorbed.