This is one of our weeknight staples. I only got our slow cooker last year so haven’t fully explored it’s potential, but this curry is so good I’ll admit I repeat it quite a bit! It’s from the Women’s Weekly Slow Cooker cookbook – I bought this having no idea how to make a slow cooker recipe up from scratch.
I usually prepare everything the night before (or sometimes 2) and keep it in the fridge in a large metal bowl. Then, in the morning before heading off to work I tip everything into the slow cooker, set it on low for 7 hours and head off to work. My slow cooker automatically turns itself on to keep warm mode after it’s done cooking so we come home from work to a sensational spicy smelling house! The best thing about this recipe is that it’s enough for M and I for 3 meals so I’ll sometimes freeze a portion and keep two out to eat.
Spicy coconut chicken curry – Women’s Weekly Slow Cooker cookbook – my version
- 3 shallots – quartered
- 3 cloves garlic – halved
- 5cm piece fresh ginger – chopped coarsely
- 2 tspns ground cumin
- 2 tspns ground coriander
- 2 tspns ground turmeric
- 3 small red chillies – chopped coarsely
- 2 tblspns fish sauce
- 2 tblspns peanut oil
- 2 tblspns lime juice
- 1 tblspn brown sugar
- 12 chicken thigh fillets – halved or in thirds
- 2 medium brown onions – sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 400ml cans coconut milk
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves – shredded thinkly
- 2 zucchini – chopped into 1.5 cm pieces
- Combine all spice paste ingredients in small food processor and blend to combine
- In large metal bowl (I use metal so the fragrant spices don’t make my other bowls smell) combine spice paste with all other ingredients except zuchinni.
- Recipe can be prepared ahead to this point the night (or 2) before
- Pour mixture into slow cooker, cover and set to cook for 7 hours on low.
- In last hour add chopped zucchini – or when home from work turn slow cooker up to high, add zucchini and cook until tender.
- Serve with noodles or rice and enjoy!