Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Slow cooker chicken curry

This is one of our weeknight staples. I only got our slow cooker last year so haven’t fully explored it’s potential, but this curry is so good I’ll admit I repeat it quite a bit! It’s from the Women’s Weekly Slow Cooker cookbook – I bought this having no idea how to make a slow cooker recipe up from scratch.

I usually prepare everything the night before (or sometimes 2) and keep it in the fridge in a large metal bowl. Then, in the morning before heading off to work I tip everything into the slow cooker, set it on low for 7 hours and head off to work. My slow cooker automatically turns itself on to keep warm mode after it’s done cooking so we come home from work to a sensational spicy smelling house! The best thing about this recipe is that it’s enough for M and I for 3 meals so I’ll sometimes freeze a portion and keep two out to eat.



Spicy coconut chicken curry – Women’s Weekly Slow Cooker cookbook – my version

Spice paste
  • 3 shallots – quartered
  • 3 cloves garlic – halved
  • 5cm piece fresh ginger – chopped coarsely
  • 2 tspns ground cumin
  • 2 tspns ground coriander
  • 2 tspns ground turmeric
  • 3 small red chillies – chopped coarsely
  • 2 tblspns fish sauce
  • 2 tblspns peanut oil
  • 2 tblspns lime juice
  • 1 tblspn brown sugar

Other ingredients
  • 12 chicken thigh fillets – halved or in thirds
  • 2 medium brown onions – sliced
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 400ml cans coconut milk
  • 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves – shredded thinkly
  • 2 zucchini – chopped into 1.5 cm pieces

  1. Combine all spice paste ingredients in small food processor and blend to combine
  2. In large metal bowl (I use metal so the fragrant spices don’t make my other bowls smell) combine spice paste with all other ingredients except zuchinni.
  3. Recipe can be prepared ahead to this point the night (or 2) before
  4. Pour mixture into slow cooker, cover and set to cook for 7 hours on low.
  5. In last hour add chopped zucchini – or when home from work turn slow cooker up to high, add zucchini and cook until tender.
  6. Serve with noodles or rice and enjoy!

Kate eat-drink-dream

No comments:

Post a Comment