My baked beans aren’t technically baked as they’re done in the pan on the stove, but ‘baked beans’ has such a good ring to it that I’ll leave it at that. It’s great to have something already prepared when you wake up of a morning, only needing to warm it in a pan and make toast and you have a warm nutritious brekkie.
My baked beans
- 6-8 rashers of bacon, fat trimmed off and cut into small strips
- 1 jar of pasta sauce (if you’re against pre-prepared products you can use tinned tomatoes)
- 2 tins of butter beans, drained and washed (or any beans you want really)
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 1 garlic glove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (I’d run out so used golden syrup instead)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the bacon until crispy.
- Remove from pan and sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add cooked bacon and remaining ingredients.
- Simmer over low heat 25-35 mins until a good consistency.
- Adjust flavours and you’re ready to eat!