Friday, 22 June 2012

Wintery weekend baked beans

The other weekend my sister came to stay and it was a cold blustery weekend. M and I do a cooked breakfast at least one day on the weekend and usually we have eggs, our fave. But this weekend I felt like something a bit different so on Saturday morning I whipped up a big batch of baked beans which was enough for M and I for brekkie on Saturday and then the three of us (including my sister) for brekkie on Sunday.



My baked beans aren’t technically baked as they’re done in the pan on the stove, but ‘baked beans’ has such a good ring to it that I’ll leave it at that. It’s great to have something already prepared when you wake up of a morning, only needing to warm it in a pan and make toast and you have a warm nutritious brekkie.




My baked beans

  • 6-8 rashers of bacon, fat trimmed off and cut into small strips
  • 1 jar of pasta sauce (if you’re against pre-prepared products you can use tinned tomatoes)
  • 2 tins of butter beans, drained and washed (or any beans you want really)
  • 1 large onion, diced finely
  • 1 garlic glove, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (I’d run out so used golden syrup instead)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • Salt and pepper
 
  1. Fry the bacon until crispy.
  2. Remove from pan and sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
  3. Add cooked bacon and remaining ingredients.
  4. Simmer over low heat 25-35 mins until a good consistency.
  5. Adjust flavours and you’re ready to eat!

Kate eat-drink-dream

2 comments:

  1. I am sure I would love these beans. They have some of my favourite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole, they certainly are delish! You can't beat a bit of bacon for flavour

      Delete