Sunday, 22 July 2012

‘Surprise chef’ spinach and cheese pie

After a morning pottering around the garden while M was working on rebuilding our veggie patch (more on that in another post) I decided we needed a hearty lunch.

On opening the fridge I realised there wasn’t much there – we had some left over potato salad from our dinner last night and that was about it, but it wasn’t enough for two hungry people.

I quite enjoy a challenge like this and always feel a bit like I’m on that TV show ‘Surprise Chef’ where they make a meal out of what’s in people’s pantries. So I opened the freezer looking for inspiration and spotted some frozen spinach and puff pastry – perfect for some spinach and cheese pies. I pulled out a red onion, cream cheese and the last of some grated cheese and whipped up this little beauty. Along with my current fave side dish of crushed pea salad and the leftover potato salad this made a beautiful lunch!




My ‘Surprise Chef’ spinach and cheese pie

  • 1 sheet puff pastry
  • 2-3 tablespoons cream cheese
  • ½ packet of Coles smart buy spinach (I really like this one as it’s less packed together and wet than the standard frozen spinach)
  • ¼ red onion finely chopped
  • A couple of handfuls of grated cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 200C
  2. Mix all filling ingredients together in a bowl, season well with salt and pepper
  3. Spread down the middle of a puff pastry sheet
  4. Cut sides of sheet into strips going outwards from filling to edge
  5. Fold strips in, alternating sides, so you get a nifty little plaited look
  6. Bake in oven for 30 mins or until golden brown
 
Crushed pea salad
  • 1 cups of peas (fresh or frozen)
  • 10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
  • 2-3 spring onions, finely chopped (if I’m feeling really lazy I leave this out or substitute with red onion instead)
  • 4 tablespoons of good quality olive oil
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Cook peas in boiling water 2-3 mins
  2. Rinse under cold running water to cool down and retain colour
  3. Transfer to bowl and crush with the back of a spoon
  4. Add mint, spring onion, oil, lemon and season well with salt and pepper
  5. Mix, taste and adjust flavours
 Enjoy!

Kate eat-drink-dream

 

2 comments:

  1. Hehe I do the same and try to think up things to make for people using just what I have. It's exciting! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun isn't it - and even better when it turns out tasting good!

      Delete