Thursday, 2 August 2012

Sunday brunch with friends

Last Sunday we had some friends over for brunch, both couples with their gorgeous 4 month old babies, we had a lovely morning chatting over coffee and good food.

I made a Nigella Lawson recipe for a baked Croque Monsieur, I haven’t made it in a while but I think that’s going to change as I’d forgotten how delicious it is, and really easy! It’s especially good for a brunch as it has to sit for a minimum of an hour before you bake it, but it can be done as early as the night before.

Essentially you make ham and cheese sandwiches with mustard, soak them in egg, cover with more cheese and Worcestershire sauce, bake and voila! The first time I made this I went over-easy on the mustard and Worcestershire sauce, but believe me there’s NO need! The mustard and sauce flavours mellow with baking, so what might seem a little intense raw is delicious when cooked!





Nigella’s baked Croque Monsieur


  • 6 slices of bread (I used a sourdough, Nigella recommends wholemeal)
  • ¼ cup Dijon mustard (I just spread a good dollop on each piece of bread without bothering about measuring too much)
  • 6 slices of Gruyere/Swiss cheese
  • 3-6 slices of ham (depending on preference, I like mine at least double thickness)
  • 3-4 eggs
  • ¼ cup milk
  • Grated Gruyere/Swiss cheese for top (I used approx 1 cup)
  • Good sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce

  1. Spread each slice of bread with mustard. Make sandwiches by putting a slice of cheese on each piece of bread with 1 or 2 slices of hame between them.
  2. Cut each sandwich in half to make two triangles (I cut in hald across-ways instead as it fitted my baking dish better).
  3. Squish the sandwiches into a lightly greased baking dish.
  4. Beat together the eggs and milk with a springling of salt and pepper.
  5. Pour egg mixutre over the sandwiches tightly packed in the dish, make sure you cover all the bread on the surfect.
  6. Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour, up to overnight.
  7. Preheat oven to 200C.
  8. Remove clingfilm from dish and give a good sprinkle of Worcestershire sauce, cover with grated cheese and bake uncovered for 25 mins.
  9. Enjoy

Kate eat-drink-dream

No comments:

Post a Comment