Friday, 5 October 2012

Stuffed pasta shells - so much easier than cannelloni!

I was down in Hobart a few weekends ago and flipping through some old editions of my mum's Women's Weekly magazines when a recipe for zucchini and ricotta stuffed pasta shells caught my eye so I jotted the ingredients and rough steps down in my phone.
Last Sunday I thought I'd give it a go, it reminded me kind of cannelloni which I love, but find so fiddly to make. This is so much easier!

Normally for lasagne and things like this that require a tomato sauce I'll make it from scratch, but this time I was feeling lazy (and to be frank it was just M and I eating it) so I used a bottle of passata like the recipe said. I adapted it a little by throwing in some leftover red onion and sundried tomatoes and it tasted great!








Zucchini and ricotta stuffed baked shells - adapted from a Women's Weekly recipe
  
  • 2 zuchinnis, grated
  • 1 1/3 cups ricotta ( I guesstimated and just used a good chunk)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Good sprinkle of dried chilli
  • 1/2 cup parmesan (I used a good sprinkle)
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Good handful of fresh herbs (I used oregano and parsley)
  • 1 jar of passata
  • Large pasta shells
  • Grated cheddar cheese
  
  1. Preheat oven to 200C
  2. Spray a large baking dish with oil
  3. Put zuchinni, garlic, ricotta, chilli, parmesan, egg and yolk and herbs in bowl, mix until well combined. Season well with salt and pepper.
  4. Tip passata into baking dish. This is where I added the leftover red onion, finely chopped, and the sundried tomatoes and mixed through.
  5. Spoon ricotta mixture into shells and place them in dish. Fill as many shells as you can squeeze into dish.
  6. Sprinkle with cheese.
  7. Cover with foil, bake for 30 mins.
  8. Uncover and bake for 15-20mins.
  9. Serve with salad and enjoy!
  
Kate eat-drink-dream
 

No comments:

Post a Comment