Friday, 21 December 2012

Hot pink beetroot risotto!

You might have seen my post on the first beetroot we harvested from the garden. Well, shortly after that and all of a sudden our beetroot seemed to be ready to eat - all of it! 

After a couple of roasted beet salads we were trying to think of another way to use them up. I remembered a friend, Jane, had made me a delicious beetroot and dill risotto for dinner a few months ago so thought I'd try a recipe inspired by this!

Jane's recipe called for juicing the beets and as we don't have a juicer I kinda improvised. I also couldn't be bothered pre-cooking the beetroot but needed to make sure the beets weren't still crunchy. I was cooking my risotto in our risotto maker too (I tend to use it for easy weeknight meals). So my strategy was to cut the beetroots up into very small cubes (around 1/2 cm) hoping they'd cook in around the same time as the rice. And, luckily, it worked!

The risotto was really flavoursome and I served it with some steamed asparagus and dill and yoghurt sauce. A nice simple meal!



Kate's version of beetroot and dill risotto
Serves 4

Risotto
  • 1 x brown onion, chopped finely
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 cups of arborio rice
  • Dash of verjuice or white wine (optional)
  • 2-3 largish fresh beetroots, peeled and diced into 1/2 cm cubes
  • 4 cups of vegetable stock
  • 1/2 bunch of dill, chopped
  • salt and pepper

Yoghurt sauce
  • A few large spoons of greek yoghurt
  • Handful of dill, chopped
  • Juice of half a lemon

  1. Saute the onion and garlic in some olive oil and a knob of butter until transparent.
  2. Add rice and stir to coat with oil, cook stirring for 3-4 mins.
  3. Add a dash of verjuice or white wine if you've got it (not super essential, but I had some in the fridge)
  4. Add cubed beetroot and stock. If using a risotto maker add all stock at once, if cooking on the stove add stock about a cup at a time as it absorbs.
  5. After about 15-20 mins stir through the dill.
  6. After about 30 mins both the rice and the beetroot should be cooked.
  7. Season and stir through additional stock or water if required to loosen.
  8. To make yoghurt sauce stir all ingredients together and add a little water to loosen.
  9. Serve risotto with yoghurt sauce and steamed asparagus.
Enjoy!

Kate eat-drink-dream

No comments:

Post a Comment