Saturday, 15 December 2012

M's Wine Review - Intrepid Sauvignon Blanc 2011


This particular sauvignon blanc comes from the Awatere Valley in the Marlborough region of New Zealand. Although I have to say that the large amount of sauvignon blanc coming out of this area has put me off buying this wine variety. To a certain extent this has been driven by the large amount of cheap and nasty "sav blanc" in the market, with my white wine buying in recent times more focused on rediscovering the riesling and chardonnay varieties. 

Nevertheless, I like a good sauv blanc, and one that jumps to mind which I reviewed last summer and really enjoyed is the Alan McCorkindale Sauvignon Blanc 2011 - it was fabulous!



One thing I've learned about sauv blancs is that they are much better if you keep them out of the fridge for around 10min before serving. As the temperature rises from the fridge level (usually 3-5 degrees) to around 7-9 degrees the flavour in the wine becomes a lot more pronounced. I'd stay away from warming it up beyond 10 degrees or more but that 7-9 range seems to be best!

I like this wine, it has the classic acidity that Sauvignon is known for; aromatic citrus, a honey like sweetness and a generous mid pallet aftertaste. It is very pleasant and easy to drink . It doesn't have that light mineral texture as some other wines in the range have but it certainly isn't heavy. My wife Kate says it is "sharp and crisp in a nice way, with citrus and even peppermint flavours" coming through.

I think this is a great value summer drop!

Price range $15-19

No comments:

Post a Comment