Friday, 25 January 2013

A healthy summer meal with family


While my parents were here for Christmas we had some lovely summer meals together. 

One night we had dinner at our place with Mum, Dad, my sister and nephew and I made Jamie Oliver’s recipe for Happy Cow burgers. I saw this on the 15 minute meals program and made it for M and I. We loved them so I kept them  up my sleeve for next time Mum and Dad visit as they follow a macrobiotic diet


I also made a simple broccoli, bean and spinach salad dressed with lemon and olive oil and a fabulous Nigella Lawson recipe for soba noodle salad which I've made many times before. Often I’ll make a quick spicy tomato sauce to go with veggie burgers but as it was so hot I made a chopped tomato salsa instead with onion and basil. 


It was a really nice simple summer meal, made even better by having my parents there with me!

Jamie Oliver's Happy Cow Burgers - with my small changes

  • 1 bunch fresh coriander (Jamie uses the stalks and keeps the leaves for salad, but I just used a slightly smaller bunch and used the whole thing)
  • 1 400g tin mixed beans
  • 200g frozen broad beans (the 2nd time I made this I ran out of beans with 100g to go so used frozen peas to top it up, it worked fine)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin (I double this)
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander (I double this)
  • Zest of 1 lemon (I didn't use this the 2nd time and it still tasted good)
  • 1 heaped tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting


  1. Put all ingredients into a food processor and whiz until smooth and combined. NB: I found the first time I did it the beans needed to sit for 20 mins before I whizzed them as they were too frozen to puree properly.
  2. Make into patty shapes and dust in flour
  3. Fry in olive oil until brown all over and serve!

The first time I made these we tried eating them in a burger bun (like Jamie recommended in his book) but they were too soft and went all over the place. We've since just had them more like a patty than in a burger - but still good nonetheless!

Kate eat-drink-dream

No comments:

Post a Comment